Frequently Asked Questions
Given the ongoing and rapidly changing COVID-19 pandemic, The Butterfly Run will be a virtual event. The Butterfly Run Virtual Celebration will be Saturday, October 10, 2020. We are excited to bring you the stories, activities and energy that you love in a different way. Stay tuned for more information and a schedule of online events.
What is the registration fee?
It’s free to register as a participant for Butterfly Run! Registration makes you eligible for exclusive incentive gear as you reach our fundraising milestones. You will receive access to our personalized fundraising portal as well as important event updates. All participants who raise or donate $35 will receive a long-sleeve Butterfly Run t-shirt.
- You can start off your personal fundraising by making the first donation to your page of $35 or more to receive your long-sleeve t-shirt.
- Fundraise to advance the movement! It is our hope that our participants will put their focus and energy on fundraising for children’s mental health. We have wonderful incentive prizes to encourage you along the way.
- All participants who complete their 5k mileage tracker in their participant center will receive a finisher medal. How to track your mileage:
Why is fundraising a crucial part of The Butterfly Run?
Now, more than ever, the dollars you raise are critical. Children’s mental health is an often overlooked and vastly underfunded component of pediatric health and research. Lack of healthcare resources and funding only complicate and hinder efforts to make significant changes that impact our youth during these critically important formative years. Gifts of any size will help us accelerate pediatric mental health research at Nationwide Children’s Hospital, which operates the nation’s largest program for child and adolescent behavioral health. In March 2020, Nationwide Children’s dedicated the Big Lots Behavioral Health Pavilion with the goal of developing a national model for pediatric mental health care and research. Learnings gained from clinicians and scientists at Nationwide Children’s will be freely shared to improve care for children everywhere.
What online fundraising tools are available to The Butterfly Run participants?
Each participant can create a personal fundraising page on our event website. We have provided free online tools to help you share your personal story to inspire others to give on your behalf.
How can my supporters make a donation?
- Send them the link to your personal or team fundraising page
- They can search for your name or team name
- If they prefer to write a check, it can be made out to Nationwide Children's Hospital Foundation
A [donation form] must be included with each check so the donor receives credit for the donation. Donation forms with contribution may be mailed to:
Nationwide Children's Hospital Foundation
Attn: Butterfly Run
PO Box 16810
Columbus, OH 43216-6810
Are donations made on my behalf tax deductible?
Yes, all donations in which goods or services are not received are 100% tax deductible. Registration fees for the event are not tax deductible.
The Nationwide Children's Hospital Foundation serves to further the mission of Nationwide Children's Hospital while meeting donor philanthropic goals. Nationwide Children's Hospital is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization (EIN: 31-1036370)
Will Nationwide Children's Hospital Foundation acknowledge my contributors?
The Foundation will send a gift receipt and acknowledgement letter to anyone who makes a donation on behalf of a Butterfly Run participant.
How can I find out if my company offers a matching gift?
First, check to see if your company has a matching gift program for health organizations. The website, MatchingGifts.com can be helpful in determining which companies match donations. Complete a matching gift form (available from your company's Human Resources department) and send it in with your donation.
How can I check my personal fundraising totals or that of my team?
You track your fundraising efforts via the Participant Center. This tool allows you to log on and review your pledges any time of the day. When a donation is made online, it is processed automatically and added toward your fundraising goal. Donations made by check or money order will be processed and counted toward your total within 10 business days after it is received by Nationwide Children’s Hospital Foundation.
What is the deadline to turn in pledges?
We will continue to accept donations for The Butterfly Run through November 10, 2020 Fundraising incentive prizes will be based on totals at that time.
When will I receive my fundraising incentives?
Fundraising incentives will be assembled and mailed out one month after the event and sent to your registered address.
What can Nationwide Children’s provide to help me with my fundraising and/or event?
- Consultation on fundraisers and events
- Approved use of our hospital name and logo, when appropriate
- Fundraising Toolkit, including: timelines, FAQs, fundraising tips, helpful templates and more
- Your own personalized fundraising page
- Resources for fundraiser organizers to educate their donors on the impact of their gift
- Letter of authorization to validate the authenticity of the fundraiser
- Tax ID or Employee Identification Number (EIN) for donation purposes
- Celebratory check presentations, when feasible
What are items Nationwide Children’s cannot provide?
- Our sales tax exemption number
- Raffle license
- Insurance or liability coverage
- Mailing list of donors and/or vendors
- Nationwide Children’s stationery
- Funding or reimbursement of your expenses
- Celebrities, professional athletes or team mascots for your fundraiser
- Publicity (newspaper, radio, television, etc.)
- Guaranteed attendance of physicians or hospital staff
- Guaranteed staff participation at your committee or planning meetings
- Guaranteed volunteer support at your fundraiser
- Guaranteed interactions with patients at the hospital or attendance at events
- Solicit businesses or vendors for support
Big Lots Challenge
What is the Big Lots Challenge?
The Big Lots Challenge is exclusively for Big Lots field associates around the country who wish to participate with their District in The Butterfly Run. As the presenting sponsor, Big Lots Districts will challenge each other to share photos and stories, drive participation, and fundraise to accelerate pediatric mental health initiatives. Prizes will be given to the most engaged Districts, as well as the top fundraising District as a thank you for their continued generous support.
Who can I contact for more information?
Please contact your Butterfly Run Team by email at Contact@ButterflyRun.org or phone at 866-317-5437.